Due to the recent $84.3 million cut in state funding for libraries, the Library budget must be reduced by an additional 11%, an overall 32% reduction so far this year. After much consideration, the Library Board of Trustees has approved the following measures to reduce the budget by an additional $900,000 total.
Reductions and cuts will include:
- Close Sunday Hours Effective August 9. Sunday is the most expensive day to operate. With staffing reduced, closing Sundays will provide staff needed for the remainder of the week.
- Reduce Personnel Expenses. Continue the hiring freeze which has reduced staff by 11 so far this year. No salary increases for staff will be given. Reductions in health care costs for staff are being prepared.
- Cut Maintenance Costs. Cancel cleaning contract. Discontinue meeting room set-ups to allow staff time for janitorial duties. Reduce HVAC servicing.
- Reduce Spending. Cut marketing budget by 60%. Reduce communications budget. Cut back supplies.
- Reduce Materials Budget. Reduce purchases of books, periodicals, media and electronic databases.
Because the Westerville Public Library is fortunate to receive local levy support, the reductions have made limited impact on services to the public. The Board, administration and staff will strive to maintain these services.
Thank you for your continued support!